To improve their game in the audio department for the upcoming Company of Heroes 2: The Western Front Armies expansion, Relic sent their team into the field to record samples from working World War 2 tanks.
Armed with a list of various tanks they wanted to record, the team descended on California where they were able to capture high quality samples from a variety of actual tanks. They were able to record 6 tanks in total over a span of 3 days. When all was said and done, the team had samples from 6 different tanks that they felt could accurately represent the different types of engines featured in the game.
The team captured samples from the following tanks:
- Jagdpanzer 38(t) “Hetzer” – Inline 6 cyl praga engine gasoline
- OT810/Sd.Kfz. 251 ausf Halftrack – 8 cyl Tatra Diesel engine
- M4A3E8 Sherman – V8 Ford GAA gasoline
- M24 Chaffee – 2x 8cyl Cadillac 44T24 gasoline
- M5 Stuart – Continental 7 cyl W-760-9 A radial engine gasoline
- M47 Pershing heavy tank – V8 Twin Continental Twin Turbo gasoline
Check out the video above for a preview of the sounds you’ll encounter on the battlefield this week when The Western Front Armies goes live. There’s still time to pre-order Company of Heroes 2 – The Western Front Armies on Amazon.com, the standalone expansion goes live on June 24th, 2014.
You can read more details about the mission in the latest blog post on the official CoH2 blog